Ode to Sandals
Sandals, thy duty is sacred.
With reverence I give you my deepest gratitude.
Thou allowest the function and comfort of a foot covering to my lower extremities without any fabric covering.
Thou maintains a firm barrier between my feet and the ground - the rough pavement, the expansive unknown of commercial floor coverings everywhere, my own kitchen floor.
Thou allowest my feet to not be swathed in the suffocating confines of a sock.
A sock that would smother and restrain,
a sock that would leave remnants of its fibers between my toes,
a sock that might leave my feet warm and moist,
a sock that on occasion would permit a mark be left on my calf that sometimes itches.
A sock whose partner can frequently disappear.
A sock that, frankly, gives me displeasure to no end.
You save me from the sock, dear sandal.
You allow my feet to breathe and be free,
for my OPI’d toes to see the sun and all the places I go.
And you’re so basic dear sandals,
full of ease and simplicity.
You do not slow me down in the morning when I’m late for work,
unlike thy evil counterpart whose thick fibers must have their own
sit-down and put-on session.
(Not to mention the inevitable tying or buckling or whatever else may come after the fibrous confines are placed).
Sandals, thou manifesteth thyself to me in many unique forms-
rubber and leather, slide and straps, Birkenstock and flip-flop
and all variations between.
Thou ist diverse and multi-functional.
Thou allowest the bare minimum between my toes and the world,
only enough strappage to remain present.
Thou would never seek to repress or enclose my footly appendages,
thou surrounds them only with love.
I love thee dear sandals.
As the winter descends, St. Georgey and mild though it may be,
I appreciate you more and more.
We’ve been through a lot, dear sandals.
I wore thee to Lake Tahoe in the wintry frigid month of February.
In the Canandian wild in Autumn.
In many a blustery Cedar City day.
I have a hard time leaving you home,
regardless of the weather.
Forgive me for the cold temperatures I demand you endure.
And never, ever, dear sandals, will I bring thee the injustice of being paired with socks.
Thou needest never fear, I would NOT do that to you.
I wouldn’t do it to me.
I wouldn’t do it to humanity.
Thou deserves so much better.
Thou deserves only the fresh air and the pedicured feet.
And all of my love and deepest appreciation,
dear, dearest sandals.
With reverence I give you my deepest gratitude.
Thou allowest the function and comfort of a foot covering to my lower extremities without any fabric covering.
Thou maintains a firm barrier between my feet and the ground - the rough pavement, the expansive unknown of commercial floor coverings everywhere, my own kitchen floor.
Thou allowest my feet to not be swathed in the suffocating confines of a sock.
A sock that would smother and restrain,
a sock that would leave remnants of its fibers between my toes,
a sock that might leave my feet warm and moist,
a sock that on occasion would permit a mark be left on my calf that sometimes itches.
A sock whose partner can frequently disappear.
A sock that, frankly, gives me displeasure to no end.
You save me from the sock, dear sandal.
You allow my feet to breathe and be free,
for my OPI’d toes to see the sun and all the places I go.
And you’re so basic dear sandals,
full of ease and simplicity.
You do not slow me down in the morning when I’m late for work,
unlike thy evil counterpart whose thick fibers must have their own
sit-down and put-on session.
(Not to mention the inevitable tying or buckling or whatever else may come after the fibrous confines are placed).
Sandals, thou manifesteth thyself to me in many unique forms-
rubber and leather, slide and straps, Birkenstock and flip-flop
and all variations between.
Thou ist diverse and multi-functional.
Thou allowest the bare minimum between my toes and the world,
only enough strappage to remain present.
Thou would never seek to repress or enclose my footly appendages,
thou surrounds them only with love.
I love thee dear sandals.
As the winter descends, St. Georgey and mild though it may be,
I appreciate you more and more.
We’ve been through a lot, dear sandals.
I wore thee to Lake Tahoe in the wintry frigid month of February.
In the Canandian wild in Autumn.
In many a blustery Cedar City day.
I have a hard time leaving you home,
regardless of the weather.
Forgive me for the cold temperatures I demand you endure.
And never, ever, dear sandals, will I bring thee the injustice of being paired with socks.
Thou needest never fear, I would NOT do that to you.
I wouldn’t do it to me.
I wouldn’t do it to humanity.
Thou deserves so much better.
Thou deserves only the fresh air and the pedicured feet.
And all of my love and deepest appreciation,
dear, dearest sandals.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home