Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Ode to Air-Conditioning

Dearest Air-Conditioning,

You are so hard-working and yet under-appreciated.
In our homes, offices, shops and cars, you churn out the cool air.
Hitting our faces with your giant cold,
Enveloping us in your cooling arms;
A reprieve from the soaring temperatures and brazen sun.

Air-conditioning,
to tell you the truth,
I have no idea how you work.
I looked it up on the World Wide Web and read about you;
something about Freon and condensing.
Whether it's that or pure magic,
it matters not.
Like my strange little dog Duke,
I don't have to understand you to love you madly.

I know about your weak step-brother the Swamp Cooler
and your even lamer cousin, the Electric Fan.
Air-conditioning, these two can't hold a candle to your expansive coldness and power.
Your friend the Ceiling Fan is not so bad in the sense of transitory temperatures,
but Air-Conditioning, that's not what we're talking about here.
We're talking about blowing COLD AIR. Not circulating it.

Air-conditioning,
you make me forget it's even hot outside.
You chill my little dogs until they're WANTING to be in the hot sun.
Your chilled blows of air seduce me into a deep and restful sleep,
allowing me to burrow down in my blankets.

Your worth is above that of rubies, diamonds, health insurance and Alan Jackson tickets.

Thank you, dear Air-Conditioning.

I shall not take you for granted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home